A BETTER PLAN FOR BRITAIN'S PROSPERITY
Britain succeeds when working people succeed.
Labour knows we need a new approach, which helps people right across our economy work smarter, not just harder. We don’t need to have an economy where most people are working longer for less.
Does Labour have a plan to make that happen?
Yes. Labour has a better plan to build prosperity across our economy.
We won’t accept the Tories' plan to support a few people and firms at the top with tax cuts, and rely on wealth trickling down to everyone else.
Labour will build a strong economic foundation, giving businesses the certainty they need to invest. Labour will:
- Cut the deficit every year
- Ask the richest to contribute more to get down the deficit, by reversing the Tory tax cut for millionaires
- Combat tax avoidance by closing the loopholes that cost Britain billions of pounds a year
- Stay in a reformed EU, protecting jobs and growth at home
- Make long-term investment in infrastructure by setting up a National Infrastructure Commission
- Guarantee that Britain has the most competitive rate of corporation tax in the G7
Labour will back small businesses and new entrepreneurs who will provide the growth and jobs of the future. Labour will:
- Cut business rates for small businesses
- Lower bills for small businesses by freezing energy prices so bills can fall but not rise and empowering a new regulator to cut prices for consumers when the wholesale price falls
- Reform the banks so they back British businesses
- Hand more economic power to every part of the UK with £30 billion of devolved funding
Labour will take action to make work pay. Labour will:
- Raise the National Minimum Wage closer to average earnings — £8 an hour by 2020
- Offer tax breaks to employers who adopt the Living Wage
- Ban exploitative zero hours contracts
- Cut taxes for low and middle-earners by introducing a lower 10p starting rate of tax
Labour will introduce the right immigration controls and tackle undercutting. Labour will:
- Make it illegal to undercut wages by exploiting migrant workers
- Ban employment agencies from recruiting only from abroad
- Stop people claiming benefits until they have lived here for two years
- Require public-facing public sector workers, like nurses and care workers, to speak English
- Clamp down on illegal immigration
Labour will transform education in Britain so the talents of the next generation can contribute to growth. Labour will:
- Bring down class sizes for 5, 6 and 7 year olds to no more than 30
- Ensure every teacher in every school is properly qualified
- Give every young person that gets the grades a direct route to an apprenticeship
- Require every firm with a major government contract to take on apprentices
- Require large firms recruiting employees from outside the EU to invest in apprenticeships in the UK