Here are six things you need to know about Labour’s Green Plan:
- We’ll champion increased ambition on climate change from all the world’s major economies. Tackling climate change is an economic necessity and vital for our children, our grandchildren and future generations. We’ll push for a goal of net zero global emissions in the second half of this century.
- We’ll take strong domestic action on climate change mitigation and adaptation. As well as working with our partners abroad, Labour in Government will show leadership at home to tackle climate change. We’ll set a decarbonisation target for 2030 for electricity, insulate 5 million homes over 10 years to reduce both energy bills and emissions and we’ll publish an ambitious new national adaptation programme to reduce flood risk.
- We’ll create a million new green jobs. The transition to a low carbon economy is a huge opportunity for Britain. We’re determined to take advantage of this opportunity by making Britain a world leader in green technology and innovation over the next decade. We’ll develop an active industrial strategy for the green economy.
- We’ll protect the public forests and bring nature closer to people. Our Labour values tell us that everyone should have access to nature whoever they are and wherever they live. Our 25 year plan for the recovery of nature will protect the public forest estate from the threat of Tory privatisation. Our plan will also bring nature closer to people by planting new woodland and trees closer to where more people live.
- We’ll make Britain a global leader in marine protection. The previous Labour Government did more for marine conservation than any government before or since. We’ll build on that proud record by protecting more of our oceans than any other government in history. We’ll also establish a coherent network of marine conservation zones around Britain and ensure fishing quotas support a thriving industry as well as the protection of the marine environment.
- Every radical, reforming Labour Government has extended public access to nature and safeguarded our environment for future generations to cherish and enjoy. With our green plan we aspire to do the same.